What is a raised garden bed?
By definition, it is a garden that is built up and not down. These are gardens that are not built into the ground, but above it in their own added soil and wood framed garden bed.
What are the benefits to having a raised garden bed?
- Prevents weeds from growing in your garden. Imagine that, a garden with no weeds? Sounds like a dream.
- Prevents soil compaction and increases soil drainage. Considering this point, you will have to till your soil much less and your plants will be just as fruitful. Since we are not mother nature, and don't control the rain the raised bed provides an outlet for those heavy rainy days where your soil would otherwise be drowning.
- Serve as barriers to pests such as slugs and snails. In addition to the boxy exterior, many gardeners swear by putting copper on the outside as it is said to keep the slugs from climbing up the garden bed.
- Works like a “pop up garden” and can be built anywhere. If you’re renting, the garden box can be temporary. If the placement of the garden did not yield well the first year, it can be moved for the next. Don’t have a big enough yard? These garden beds can be created for even the smallest spaces on a patio or balcony.
- Can be planted earlier in the season. A raised garden bed may be one of the only methods that can provide you with a full growing season of all your plants. Not only can you plant your vegetables earlier, but they will also likely survive later into the colder months.
- Extra benefit: Your back will be grateful you didn't build your garden directly in the ground. A raised garden bed is an investment in your health.
Where can you buy a raised garden bed?
At the Healthy Garden we offer several size options for garden beds depending on your available space. Go towww.healthygardenco.com to ask for a quote and we will determine which garden bed size and height would work best for you within your space and budget.
All of our raised garden beds are made with Cedar wood, which is an extremely rot resistant material. Its unique cell structure provides the wood with a natural resistance to water penetration.
You can choose from 4x4 or 4x8 in the following heights: 16”, 24” and our 16” square post bed.
Find all of our raised garden bed optionsHERE.